By: Dr. Sarah White, Naturopathic Doctor
Overnight oats are delicious and easy, and will save you precious time in the morning since they are easy to assemble the night before. While this breakfast tastes like a creamy dessert, it is also gluten free and made of good-for-you ingredients like oat, almond milk, almonds, yogurt and orange. Simply throw the following ingredients in a small container or mason jar before bed, store in the fridge and grab for an easy on the go breakfast:
- 1/2 cup quick cook oats
- 1 tbs orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbs sliced almonds
- 1 tbs coconut yoghurt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tbs chia seeds
By Dr. Sarah White, Naturopathic Doctor
Every day we are exposed to toxins through the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the food we eat. Your body has it’s own natural mechanisms to get rid of these toxins, but after years of continuous exposure your detoxification organs become over burdened and many of these toxins do not exit your body effectively. They, instead, circulate back into your bloodstream and body tissues and often become stored in our fat tissues. Recently there has been an explosion in the number of studies showing the effects of these environmental toxins on human health. The following simple changes aim to stimulate all organs of elimination in order to cleanse overloaded body systems:
- Lemon water: squeeze 1/2 lemon in 1cup warm water. Drink upon waking. This simple practice stimulates liver and digestive function and helps to shift the internal body’s environment from acidic to alkaline
- Hydration: Drink a minimum of 2L (8 glasses water each day). The kidneys play an important role in detoxification and adequate hydration is therefore essential in order to assist in flushing these toxins out of the body through the urinary system.
- Dry Skin Brushing: 5 minutes before showering briskly rub skin in small circular motions with a loofa or dry brush, moving from the arms and legs inward toward the heart (distal to proximal). This daily practice improves lymphatic circulation and drainage, and increases blood flow to superficial tissues. As a bonus, it may even reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- Aerobic exercise 4 times per week: exercise helps to release toxins stored in fat tissue, it also promotes weight loss and lean muscle tone, improves mood and energy and reduces stress.
- Invest in some glass or metal Tupperware containers & bottles to store food and water: Most plastics contain a chemical called bisphenol-A which increases the number of harmful estrogens and toxins in your body. Replace plastic bottles with glass or metal (available to most grocery stores) and try to bring your own containers to restaurants to take home extra food.
By: Dr. Melanie DeCunha, Naturopathic Doctor
Yup, that's right I like kicking it old school with a jigsaw puzzle. I love puzzles of all types (one of my faves is Sudoku) and find them very relaxing. Jigsaw puzzles in particular are great for stimulating both the right (emotions, creativity) and left (logical, systematic) sides of the brain. They are also helpful for improving memory, problem solving, visual perception and coordination skills. And my favourite benefit? You are spending time NOT looking at a screen, giving your eyes a break in this tech-based world we live in!
openness. nourishment. empowerment.